Wednesday 23 November 2016

11 month follow up - and amazing news!

Hey everyone!

I'm aware it's been a bit longer than the 2 weeks I promised since I last posted, but I wanted to wait until my follow-up appointment today so I'd have something fresh to write about. Today has been a day of extreme highs and extreme lows, so with that in mind I'm not quite sure how I'm feeling!

So today I had a follow-up with my gastroenterologist to discuss how things were coming along. I finished my last course of antibiotics about 2 weeks ago and I've since been taking VSL3 probiotics religiously, twice a day morning and night. So far, no reappearance of pouchitis, so that's a bonus, fingers crossed! However, I'm well aware that the effectiveness of VSL3 is disputed by doctors. Trials have shown effectiveness in some areas but weakness in others. While it's working for me though, I've got no complaints as right now it's given me my life back again!

We discussed my new diagnosis of chronic pouchitis and I wanted to ask about options for the future. Seen as I already didn't respond to Metronidazole, if Ciprofloxacin stops working, then we have a dilemma. This is a possibility, with antibiotic resistance in mind. Cipro also isn't ideal, because it raises the chance of contracting C. Diff (which as you can imagine, I could do without!)

If these antibiotics fail, then there options left are Infliximab infusions (not a fan), or a new clinical trial for a drug specifically developed to treat chronic pouchitis. We're not down that road yet so I don't want to say too much. I do feel quite sad that my pouch is not even a year old and we've already reached the chronic stage, but 'beggars can't be choosers' and I'm marginally far happier with pouch than with bag.

So all in all, I don't feel great about this, but I'm aware that it's far from the end of the road. That's my low for the day.

My high? I've just found out I've got an interview to apply to study Medicine - in other words, yes, I'm trying to become a doctor! For those of you who read my blogs in the past, this may come as a surprise (I study English currently). I've never spoken about these plans too much - they've been on my mind for years - but I was never sure I'd ever get close, never mind get an interview.

Right back in 2013, when I was first diagnosed, I'd only just started at university. At 18, I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life. I enjoyed English, so to me that was enough to do a degree in it. And don't get me wrong, I still love it. But after my initial diagnosis and emergency surgery, and being so inspired by the amazing work of my own medical team, I started to think differently.

I'd always worked in caring roles since my early teens, being big on volunteering, and I loved science (just hated maths). But experiencing serious illness myself, seeing how my medical team acted so professionally and treated me with such dignity, as well as my renewed fascination with Biology as I researched the causes of my disease, the thought first came into my mind. At the time I thought it was impossible - I'd just started English at uni, and had no recent science qualifications. So I put the idea out of my mind.

But over the past 3 years, I kept researching. Since then I've volunteered and worked in hospitals, hospices, disability services and university societies related to healthcare. I'm a trained first-aider, currently work at a hospital and I spent summer in and out of various hospitals trying out different specialties.

In September, I sat a 7 hour entrance exam that was quite possibly the hardest thing I've sat in my whole life. Convinced I hadn't made it, once again I tried to put it out of my mind.

But then, just a few weeks ago - I discovered I PASSED, with enough to gain an interview! I really can't believe it. What started off as a dream a few years back is now very close to becoming a reality.

If I can be half the doctor that my consultants were to me, I'll be very happy. In future, if I get a place, I will always try my best to remember what it was like to be a patient - and bear that in mind as I treat others.

I would not consider my illness a positive experience, by any means. But IBD over these past few years has given me many opportunities that I would never have encountered before. Working with CCUK I've gained work experience, better knowledge and continuous support through my condition. Being in hospital and chatting to people online I've spoken to HUNDREDS of people I would never have met if it wasn't for IBD - some of these have become close friends. Having IBD and the seriousness of my situation has given me positivity, determination and strength I didn't know I had. Most of all, it's inspired me to consider things in life that I hadn't before, and despite all the lows, I don't regret the last few years. They've well and truly shaped me as a person!

I'll keep this updated with other things but also more news as my application develops!


2 comments:

  1. Wishing you the very best and am certain you will excel in whatever field you pursue..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi :) I'm 13 and I've got motility issues and until my last operation a few weeks ago, had a 3 year battle with chronic pain x I'm thinking about becoming a paediatric nurse, in an area I've had a lot of experience in like gastroenterology because I really want to be able to tell young people, especially teens not to give up on getting better, anythings possible :) I'm not 'fixed' but I'm living with newly revised stoma and loving life. People I know who've been through simillar experiences all shy away from hospitals, so it's great to know I'm not the only one :)

    ReplyDelete