Thursday 16 July 2015

5 weeks: Nights out and new solutions!

I'm now just over 5 weeks post-pouch construction and loop stoma, and things are going really brilliantly! Everything is on the up, and it's been a fantastic week since I last posted here - a LOT has happened!

I think I'm happiest of all at the fact that I've finally found a combination of stoma supplies which work for my troublesome loop ileostomy. For the first time since the surgery, I can actually go about my day without burning skin or itchiness, which is absolute bliss. Finally, just like I eventually did with my end stoma, I'm actually going round totally forgetting I have an ostomy bag. This is a big step considering that last week I'd resigned myself to discomfort, thinking that this would become the new 'norm' until my reversal. How much difference a few small changes can make!

In a courtesy call from Coloplast (my usual supplier), I spoke to a lovely man about my issues who asked me to send in a photo of my stoma for their nurses to assess. This allowed them to send me some products that would work the best for my situation, which included a new sort of paste, and an ostomy belt.

The thought of a belt bothered me at first, because it seemed so restrictive and uncomfortable, and there was just something about it - I'm not even sure what, the appearance of it maybe? - that put me off. But after trying it just a couple of times, I'm a HUGE fan. It makes such a difference, it's unbelievable. I LOVE MY BELT! <3


The belt is basically a strip of elastic with a hook on either end. You can shorten or lengthen it to the size of your waist, then fit it to the two small hooks into plastic clips on the bag itself (some convex bags have these clips to allow the use of a belt). It pushes your stoma out, meaning it's less flat to the skin. It's not even that uncomfortable to wear (except on a full stomach) and you actually forget about it pretty quickly. I guess it reminded me a bit of when I first had to start wearing bras - sorry guys, not really something you can relate to!

With my confidence boosted, and totally forgetting about the bag being there for the first time in over a month, I decided that last night was the time to hit the town. Me and a few friends got together for a much needed catch up, drinks and a great time! I also (nervously) tried alcohol again - which was quite interesting. Turns out that a loop ileostomy makes you into a serious lightweight. Let that be a warning for anyone planning to drink with one. After just one drink, I was genuinely stumbling!


Just like my end ileostomy though, the effects of the alcohol go away as quickly as they come on, meaning that by the end of the night you're usually back to normal. It's important to stay hydrated if you're drinking alcohol with an ileostomy, and certain drinks can affect your output, but most spirits and some ciders are fine.

Earlier in the week, I went out for dinner with another friend who I hadn't seen in a while, and we had some really lovely food at Wagamamas (Japanese food). My diet is well and truly back to normal, and I've tried pretty much everything again, even the 'banned' foods - guess who ate a whole bag of pistachio nuts this afternoon! The rule as always is to chew well - particularly with a loop stoma, when the food's passing through very quickly.

Gorgeous spicy soup - with lots of veg!

I'm also going back to my part time job as of next week, which means getting back into driving! I'm quite excited to get back behind the wheel, and get back into more of a routine. I had a blood test this week, which will hopefully show that I'm now free of anaemia.

And finally, my funny story of the week - when fitting my bag one time, I tried the 'hairdryer' trick, which I've seen talked about online a few times. Apparently, blowing the bag with a blast of hot air makes it stick better and more thoroughly. I think I was a bit overenthusiastic, and I somehow managed to melt my ostomy bag and burn my stoma! It really was awful! After only about 10 seconds of blowing on the hottest setting (and probably holding it a bit too close), the window into my bag actually blistered and melted, and the stoma itself burst into blisters and started to bleed - which didn't hurt because it has no sensation, but was still a shock. I stopped immediately after that! Here's a bit of a warning to anyone else planning this trick - it works, but less is more, and NOT too hot! Fortunately, my stoma had healed in a few days! 

I'm keeping busy and however good I'm feeling now, I know it's only going to get better, which is something to really look forward to!

1 comment: