Tuesday 4 August 2015

Less than 8 weeks after surgery, life's not all about my ostomy!

Hey all! As you've maybe noticed if you've been following the blog, I've been away for longer than usual since my last post. Life's really back to normal now in every way, and I've been so busy that I've barely touched my computer. To think that less than 8 weeks ago I was in theatre having surgery, I'm proud of how far I've come!

Big things that have happened since I last posted:
- I've returned to my old part time job, and also started a new day time job, so I'm now working both!
- I've started driving again
- I've been on several nights out, include staying away from home in different cities not easily in reach of my own house
- I'm now eating everything again, including all the stoma 'danger' foods e.g. sweetcorn, popcorn and nuts
- Writing an article for the Crohn's and Colitis UK members' magazine. Watch this space!

Nearly 8 weeks ago!

And now (back in the driving seat - but not actually driving taking this!!)

When you're seriously ill, it's sometimes almost impossible to imagine a day when you'll be able to get back to normal. In the early weeks after surgery, I felt weak, tired and wasn't comfortable leaving the house because of my stoma issues. Even though I'd been through this all before with operation 1, operation 2 was a lot tougher than I imagined and really set me back.

But when you start to feel better, you'll progress in leaps and bounds. Getting yourself out and about and achieving little things each day all helps to build your confidence with a new stoma. Over these past few weeks, that's exactly what I've been doing - and most of the time, being ill is at the back of my mind.

It obviously helped having an end ileostomy for 17 months before, but I'm now very comfortable with the loop ileostomy and often forget it's even there. When you first have a stoma made, it seems laughable to suggest that you'll ever be able to forget about it, but you really, really do. After enough time goes by, caring for a stoma is just another part of your daily routine, as easy and quick as brushing your teeth or having a shower. One day, you'll realise that you haven't actually thought about your ostomy for hours at a time, and that's a brilliant day for your confidence.

Leeds Pride 2015!

On the topic of living life without thinking of your illness, I want to talk about something amazing that I've been lucky to get involved in this month. Earlier this year, I applied for a place to volunteer at an Over The Wall summer camp. (www.otw.org.uk) Over The Wall is a charity that runs summer camps for children with severe illnesses and disabilities. In a week at camp, the kids can meet friends, take part in activities but most importantly have fun without thinking about their condition. When I heard about it, I thought it was an absolutely lovely idea and couldn't wait to get involved. After completing an online application, an interview and extensive criminal record check, I was thrilled to hear that I've got a place at a camp based in Staffordshire at the end of August.

What attracted me most was the idea of living besides your illness. All through my IBD journey, I've tried to keep life as normal as possible - going back to university, going out with my friends, doing everything any other 20 year old would do. For the kids at the camp, I think it's amazing that they're given an opportunity to spend a week having fun and getting away from hospital appointments and discussions about their health - doctors are on hand at the camp, but they only step in where necessary - the rest of the time is devoted entirely to having fun. 

I go away to camp on the last week of August, and I absolutely can't wait! I'll be in a team of kids and volunteers and we'll have a really brilliant time!



Oh! And on Friday, I also find out the date of my final operation, which will probably be in December. Exciting stuff!

No comments:

Post a Comment