Thursday 11 June 2015

Day 2 post j pouch/loop Stoma

Today marks 2 days since I had my J pouch formed, my rectum removed and a loop Stoma made (to protect the pouch while it heals). It's been a tough ride so far - I said I'd be honest on this blog as I went along.

I've had a lot of bloating and gas pain, which is due to the bowel being handled in surgery. Last night I felt like I was going to burst, and my stomach looked about 9 months pregnant! I've been fortunate enough to have complete keyhole surgery, meaning that although I'm quite sore, it's really nothing compared to the pain of the open scar of my colectomy.

One of just two tiny incisions!

The surgeon made two little cuts above and below my new Stoma bag - then carried out the rest of the surgery through my existing Stoma site and a smaller hole on the other side of my tummy (now where the surgical drain is).

One teeny tiny drain!

I dreaded having another surgical drain, as I have a real phobia around them, but this one is a lot smaller than the one used for my colectomy, and I can't really feel it. It should be coming out today, along with the epidural.

I've experienced a lot of bleeding from the back passage - which is pretty scary but apparently normal.

The only colon I've got left is cuddly

The best part of this whole thing is I no longer have any colon at all. So no colitis. I've just got this cuddly colon, but he's totally healthy! ;)

Hoping to get up and about a bit today, and jog some of that dreaded wind out of my system!

I'm being looked after brilliantly here at the QMC and I'm in great hands. Here's to another update soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment